Tuesday 11 April 2006

Fan mail

I thought this might come back to haunt me. AP Manley, an Observer reading skunk, sent me the following correspondence via ComeOnBoro.com regarding my recent piece in The Observer.

"Well, Mr Bassett, you were somewhat wrong, no? Not even a dyed in the wool olourblind Geordie heedcase would deny Boro's heroics in Switzerland, but your team stank today. And as for us, we don't wait 'obediently' for anyone, however rubbish we are at any given time. Whatever that nice Mr O'Neill finally decides to do, we've already got a perfectly decent manager and -- after today -- a genuine possibility of sneaking into Europe through the tradesmans' entrance. After the season we've had, that leads to magnanimous thoughts: I loved what Hasselbaink and co did in the week. But we simply KNEW we were getting three points today. It's called true faith, and 52,000 people there come wind rain shine or Souness.

Yours perfectly amicably

APManley An Observer-reading Gallowgate season ticket holder"

I think he rather missed the dog theme I had running through the piece, but fair play, Boro were shite.

No comments: